Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Constructions to Present.

I will only be able to write this blog once a week or so, internet access is difficult to find sometimes, I am writing from Aubenas today.  

Mostly I wake up in the morning and get the fire started, make myself breakfast and wait for my joints to thaw before I set to work.  There has been too much snow and frost to wall, however here is a picture of a small section that I was able to finish, too me a day and a half because I have to bring stone up a steep rocky slope to this location, there is no wheel barrow and it wouldn't work on this terrain anyways.  the lower third is mortared, and I decided to drystone on top of it to echo a similar wall across from this section.  The other wall is lime mortared and doesnt look nearly as nice as this.    

To me, it looks like its been here for years.



About a ten minute walk up the volcano side, when the slope begins to level out is a drystone ruin.  It looks to be an old farm shed/animal hut.  The gable ends and walls are intact, but the roof has long since deteriorated.  It is surrounded by miles of terraces, all around 2-4 feet tall, roughly built with vertical joints etc; not the prettiest construction but functional.  These terraces stop soil from eroding for the wheat of the Ardeche of the past and then for grass for the present-day cows.

Generally, the principles of bonding have been adhered too, there is the odd running joint or zipper joint though, it has mostly been well hearted which accounts for its survival well past its timbers.

The wispy greenery is bracken, a delightful stunted pine-looking plant, I've also noticed Hellebore already beginning to grow up here.



Because of the snow I'm not doing any drystone work right now, instead Im helping repoint the inside of the house using lime mortar.  As soon as Johnny Left we decided to rip this section down.  We've supported the floor joists and the arch construction is underway, using a half sawn oil drum as a form.  

I've done dry-arches before but to jump into this mortared arch, keeping as much of the surrounding walls intact has been a slow going process, more to follow.





No comments:

Post a Comment